ReEL INTRO BREAKDOWN

Breakdown for my 2016 Reel Intro, showcasing color correction, typography and particle compositing.

Used Maya, Vray and After Effects.

May 2016

For this piece I referenced a short intro by Silverwing called “SCI-FI LOGO”; the key points were the symmetrical design and animation of the mechanical elements.

For this piece I referenced a short intro by Silverwing called “SCI-FI LOGO”; the key points were the symmetrical design and animation of the mechanical elements.

Same reference but from another angle, when the animation is starting.

Same reference but from another angle, when the animation is starting.

Close-up of the modular mechanical parts. I wanted to have the logo sit in the middle of a mechanical background. I made the elements symmetrical and made them point towards the middle to lead the eye towards the logo.

Close-up of the modular mechanical parts. I wanted to have the logo sit in the middle of a mechanical background. I made the elements symmetrical and made them point towards the middle to lead the eye towards the logo.

Initial sketches of the modular mechanical parts. I was trying to find the right shapes that would come together. I also experimented with different variations of the logo design and its placement in the composition.

Initial sketches of the modular mechanical parts. I was trying to find the right shapes that would come together. I also experimented with different variations of the logo design and its placement in the composition.

Close-up of the design where the logo sits. Inspired by the gears on a watch and a gem socketed in a ring.

Close-up of the design where the logo sits. Inspired by the gears on a watch and a gem socketed in a ring.

Model done in Maya of the modular mechanical parts; as you can see the circles in the design on top left; spell “TB”: the initials for the logo.

Model done in Maya of the modular mechanical parts; as you can see the circles in the design on top left; spell “TB”: the initials for the logo.

Model executed in Maya of the mechanical centerpiece. I enlarged the logo relative to my original sketch, because I felt it was getting lost in the whole array. The design of the centerpiece is supposed to evoke a jet propulsion engine, propelling the logo forward and outward.

Model executed in Maya of the mechanical centerpiece. I enlarged the logo relative to my original sketch, because I felt it was getting lost in the whole array. The design of the centerpiece is supposed to evoke a jet propulsion engine, propelling the logo forward and outward.

Render executed in Vray of the modular design. I layered the UV wireframes on top of the texture to enhance the mechanical feel of the parts.

Render executed in Vray of the modular design. I layered the UV wireframes on top of the texture to enhance the mechanical feel of the parts.

Initial render executed in Vray of the centerpiece. I later added glow and reflections to the animation. In this still, I was examining the motion blur to see the how fast the gears could turn without losing the details in motion.

Initial render executed in Vray of the centerpiece. I later added glow and reflections to the animation. In this still, I was examining the motion blur to see the how fast the gears could turn without losing the details in motion.